Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gone fishing...kind of

Hello and happy Easter, everyone. I'm back!


I didn't mention anywhere that I was going, mainly because I am repeatedly horrified by bloggers who blog under their real names and post photos of their local area and house and then tweet things like "Just dropping Fido off at the kennel then off to Bali for two weeks! #holiday". I don't know why then don't just pop a placard in their front window that says "My house is vacant please rob me". Of course, my paranoia is incredibly ridiculous because a) I had a housesitter, so my house wasn't vacant b) other than my adorable cat and 10 skeins of the type of sock wool that was fashionable five years ago, I don't have anything anyone would want to steal and c) I only have about five readers (love you guys! Don't go away despite my irregular postings and too frequent pictures of my cat), BUT STILL!

The holiday started off on shaky grounds when we arrived in Noosa at the same time as the rain band of Cyclone Ita. It was wet and windy but I'm from Melbourne, so if there's one thing I know it's how to deal with wet and windy (and how to complain about it too...) so we packed up the car and went driving to Pomona, a local town with a random great big hill in it.


We tried to drive up to a lookout point but the little Hyundai i20 we'd hired couldn't handle the incline. It was pretty funny hearing the engine go chug chug chug chug chug (although less funny when we slid backwards a little bit. But we returned the car without damage, so no harm no foul).

There was a gorgeous art gallery there in a converted railway station. It's filled with art from local artists and had a wonderful artistic community feel.


Unfortunately, there was not much else to do that was inside, so I went home and drank champagne in the spa (no pictures of that! But it was delightful.)

Fortunately, the weather cleared up and we were able to hire a boat for the day.


Sam said it was like driving an incredibly slow water-capable dodgem car. The hire came with fishing gear, so I had a go at baiting and casting.


Have you ever seen such a natural fisherwoman? However, fishing is incredibly boring, so I lasted about three minutes before pulling out my knitting.


Sam approached his fishing experience with a lot more enthusiasm than me but without much more luck, so we ended up returning the boat with the supplied (optimistically sized) bucket for caught fish completely empty.


The holiday also contained of poolside cocktail drinking and al fresco dining, which was fantastic. It was a lovely holiday and I certainly did not want to come back to cold, wet, windy Melbourne.

The only downside of going away was that I couldn't take Lucy with me. Despite the fact that she was very well looked after while I was gone, she was both incredibly cross with me and incredibly happy to see me. Everywhere I've gone since I've got back I've been followed by a little furry shadow. Her favourite pose is this:


Still able to keep an eye on my but letting me know very clearly that she is Not Happy.

Oh, to be on holiday still!

0 comments:

Post a Comment